Thursday, October 8, 2009

settling in

Our house (or, apartment rather) is starting to feel like home. Today, we got the following essentials (some things more essential than others): duvet and cover and pillowcases (and pillow), salad spinner, corkscrew, can opener (I bought canned fruit to put on a salad the other night - it was a no go sans the opener), clip-on reading lights, garbage cans (2), and lunch to get us through a big big big Tokyo Ikea. We took the Tokyu Toyoko line and then the free shuttle bus to a suburb (or industry/big-shop-burb?) of Yokohama to take advantage of the lower prices, and eat some Swedish meatballs. It was less than two weeks ago that we were in an Ikea in Ottawa, getting the last needed things for the apartment we were to vacate in two days. Mrrr... it seems like luxury-ville, that apartment, with the complete kitchen, a closet full of towels, and all of our wedding gifts waiting for us. However - Gatineau vs Tokyo? I could never pass this up. We also bought cell phones today, or, as they call them - mobiles. So we're all set up with Softbank - apparently the most economical provider - with one black phone and one white phone. This means that Steve can text me when he's leaving the gym at 10:00, and I can re-heat dinner. They have been training like crazies - some of the stuff he's telling me that they've been doing? Eep - someone is whipping those boys (and Steve) into shape. Most of the guys on the team were born in the mid-80s, so he's a veritable old guy, sweating it out with young'uns.

I'm definitely going to have to write a blog more focused on groceries and shopping and the ridiculous price of cantaloupes ($12) and such, but I have just finished shopping a 56-page order-in catalogue for home-delivery of foodstuffs. I really like the idea - shopping at home (and good, necessary shopping), cheaper (or less expensive) food (most of it), and someone delivers the heavystuffs right to my door? Sure! My only qualm is this: meal planning an entire week in advance? Umm... I don't think so. I'm a max two-days ahead kind of planner, sooo I'll just - at least for now - be ordering the heavy stuff: water, juice, beer. Beverages. I'm ordering beverages. On that note, maybe I should review once more, and order some FOOD, so the coach (who is ordering for us) doesn't think Steve is on some liquid diet or something. Back to it...

1 comment:

Ericandles said...

Heather--loving the blog. It takes me back a bit...oh, restocking kitchen #15. I don't know how many garlic presses I have purchased over the years. Plus, Tokyo sounds amazing. Makes me wish we'd made it there ourselves. Also makes me wish I'd blogged while we were away. Anyway, I am really enjoying reading. Thanks for sharing your experiences.