Tuesday, October 6, 2009

aerobics, and an apartment tour

Japanese aerobics anyone? Suuuuure! Yup, I just got home from my first Japanese aerobics class. There I was, with about 35 other aerobicizers, most of whom were retirees, bobbing up and down and lefting and righting to the mega-serious-enthusiasm of our high-ponytailed teacher. I was seriously giggling to myself for the first five minutes at least - I'm here right now, doing this? The music, the enthusiasm, the Japanese, their shortness, my tallness, the awkwardness of aerobics class... it was all waaaay too funny. And then I realized, it was all completely normal and I was the oddball - I was really laughing at myself, for taking the "soft aerobics" class in the first place - Miss Tall and Odd I was. (It was also hilarious that, as I followed the rest of the class left and right and left and right, I went from pinhead skinny-pants to blobbo-cranium with Professor Sherman hips in the warped, carnival-esque mirrors... again, way too funny.) They have all sorts of classes - Beginner's Yoga, Balance Ball, Core Training, Variation Aerobics, Steps Burning Fat (sure!), Boxing and Regular Aerobics... so I'll have to check some other classes out. For 200 yen ($2.38), why not? It's a steal.

the walkway along the Meguro River - nice!

So yes, I found the gym. The public services here are amazing. Yesterday, I checked out the Meguro City Office Complex, home to the Foreign Residents Information Desk and MIFA, the Meguro International Friendship Association; both had lots of info on language classes and cultural courses - a few times a month there are flower arrangement classes, tea ceremonies and Japanese cooking sessions... cool, no? We'll have to check it out for sure. I also made my way along the Meguro River to the Meguro Citizen's Centre - home to the gym, an indoor and outdoor pool, a library, a museum, and much more. And so, this afternoon, for less that $3 I aerobicized and ran on the treadmill for 30 minutes, did some perfunctory shoulder exercises, and made for home. I've had a few emails back about jobs here, and am trying to get that ball rolling asap - something should transpire soon enough.

leaving for practice...

and for the gym...

And just in case you wanted to know what our apartment looks like, here's a short video. We live in a big big big apartment complex called Nakameguro Urban Heights (I think) - which is in a very nice part of town. Some things I love about our apartment so far: it's quiet, there is a balcony, there are trees!, we have a comfy sofa, a long bed, a cool tatami room, a gas stove, and an oven; there's a shower ROOM, we have internet and... we're close to a gym and within walking distance of the metro and grocery stores. What I don't like so much? Hmmm.... nothing really - the wallpaper is a bit ugs but ??? Who cares! There are still a few things missing (check the empty larder and spice cupboard), but we're getting by - note the Starbucks coffee Steve is drinking; it's feeling more and more like home every day!

No comments: