Saturday, June 6, 2009

wooooooow....

So I've got a couple of "wows" for you. First of all, yesterday's high (temp) was apparently a record low of NINE DEGREES. And we saw people basically putting their plants to bed - covering them with sheets - because of the frost warning due to an overnight low of minus two. Can weeds freeze and die? Probably not, so we're all good. It just sounds wrong to say "at least it's not snowing" - it's June! I want summer. Or any other season that winter (or fall).

The second wow is this: for the past two days we've seen pelicans - pelicans! - in our back yard. Crazy! On Thursday we saw a group of four of them, dipping down at the same time, big beaks and wide wings and all, and yesterday saw a group of TEN of them (!!) cruising around the pond behind our house. They are so beautiful and so huge... a really neat thing to see.




I'm applying the last wow factor to the movie we saw last night - Up, in 3D. I'm pretty sure that Pixar animated films are my new favourite genre... it was amazing! Again, not a kids movie - there were definitely some scary parts - and not one for the faint of heart either... I'm pretty sure that I cried about three times. It was incredibly sweet and imaginative and reminded me of several different kids books (in one way or another), such as James and the Giant Peach and The Little House. Since there weren't any sports on TV, and because we've had a busy week (and busy day), we decided to opt for dinner and a movie instead of working on our to-do lists. But, today we're back at it - I'm just not so sure how much work I want to be doing outside... it's cold!!

No comments: