Monday, August 11, 2008

some happenings...


Wow. I am getting worse and worse at staying up to date. The back(b)log of thoughts, ideas, reflections and goings-ons is piling up, so I'm going to hammer out a quick one (I hope) about what's been going on with me. So, what's been going on with me? BUSY-NESS! The amount of free time/down time/time to blog/TIME in general that I've had (well, that I haven't had) since we've been back from Russia is really making up for all of the time that I had on my hands in Yaroslavl. Over there, all I had was free time. I'm not complaining - I love being busy, and I'll take this over the not-much-to-do situation in good old Yaroslavl. I digress... but here's a question: What happens when you add children into this busy-mix? Answer: AGH! I have no idea! Honestly! Anyhooo...

SO! Last week I coached some fabulous (mostly) grade 8s, 9s and 10s at a Cap College summer volleyball camp. Things went really well and I'm looking forward to the malleable grade sixers and sevens that we'll be getting this week. The learning curve is so steep at that age that the teenyagers make considerable (and very noticeable) improvements over the course of a few hours. It's awesome. So what else. I made the trip down to Seaside, Oregon this weekend for a massive beach volleyball tournament - apparently the largest amateur beach volleyball tournament in the world! Yikes. It was my first year, and I went down with a large Canadian contingent to play with a teammate from Gonzaga: Miss Shannon O'Connor. Shannon showed up with a group that takes the tourney by storm every summer - they were major party animals, dishing out jello shots for our second game which - I won't lie - helped us immensely. Okay, the beer helped too but game two was WAY better than game one, and unfortunately we lost 15-13 in the third set: one two BBQ. We were out just like that in the double elimination tourney. So, for the rest of the weekend we watched vball, cheered on some friends and ??? enjoyed some beverages. What we did not enjoy were the high winds and gusty sand blasts that burrowed sand a la Sahara sandstorm into every nook and cranny of clothing and exposed skin. It was nasty. Despite the unforgiving weather (there was some rain too) Canada was well represented on the women's side: Barb and Jo won the open in front of a packed crowd - it was AWESOME! So that was super fun, to watch and cheer for good friends who totally took it to the Yanks. Okay, here are a few pics and I'm to bed... super fatigue from a long, but amazing week and weekend!

Shannon and I at centre court on Saturday afternoon - it was COLD!

No comments: