Wednesday, August 13, 2008

say what?

There are so many things to write about and I have so many zzzzzs to catch up on but I heard this story on the radio this morning and can't resist. I was listening to a french station, trying to wake up and refresh the small part of my brain the houses the francais when I realized that I wasn't really understanding... or was I? A giant piece of inflatable dog poo causes problems in Switzerland? Quoi? PAS possible! So... yes, very possible. Contemporary American artist Paul McCarthy's giant inflatable dog poo (art) was on display at a Swiss museum when high winds took the stinker up up and away, sending it crashing into a children's home 200 metres away. Seriously!? I have so many questions: dog poo = art? (Apparently it does; I dare you to google it.) And the size of a house? Why? It is called abject art, and if you dare to find out anything about this dude then consider yourself warned. It is bizarre. I guess the point of art is to evoke a reaction, though usually that reaction is somehow connected to beauty or visual appeal... non? Whatever. Care of Wikipedia, this is a little something I learned about the artist, and what not to expect in an art class:

His work evolved from painting to transgressive performance art, psychosexual events intended to fly in the face of social convention, testing the emotional limits of both artist and viewer. An example of this is his 1976 piece Class Fool, where McCarthy threw himself around a ketchup spattered classroom at the University of California, San Diego until dazed and injured. He then vomited several times and (you don't want to know).[1] The piece ended when the audience could no longer stand to watch his performance.


Okay ANYWAYS! I just had to write about the flying shit. I should be writing about the Olympics (I love the Olympics!!), or about what's happening in Georgia but ... tomorrow. Maybe.


No comments: