Monday, October 15, 2018

The girls go west - beautiful BC!




It is always so nice to get away and then so nice to get home too. The past week has flown by with visits to my sister Sarah in Kamloops (YAY!) and my mom and dad in Comox (double yay!). Well, I can say double yay to the interior visit too because the baby bump makes two to visit… baby (NOT mine - my sister's)! It was so great to see my sis and her place and get out and see Kamloops and her work - and to see Alana get to know her too, that was pretty special. Highlights of the first leg of our trip for Alana were the playgrounds (one was behind Sarah’s house - with a tire swing, and another fave was the downtown park with an amazing rope play structure), the painting, and the horseback riding. On Saturday afternoon we headed up to Erin Valley Stables and Alana went on a trail ride on her own horse without a lead. I really wasn’t sure how it would go, but she was ahhhhmazing! There were seven horses, and Alana was near the front, just behind the lead horse, while Sarah and I were near the back. She was calm and collected throughout the ride, and seemed at ease with the uphills, downhills and the trotting. “I like it when I went fast” she said after. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t think about some what-if moments, like… What if her horse just takes off? What’ll she do?! But she liked it so much that she put on a pout-pout face as soon as the ride was over - and asked if she could go again. And so we did! We went to Bear Creek Ranch on Friday where Alana rode a barrel-racing champion horse (really) - which made me wonder if and when it would show some of its speed. It didn’t (thankfully), but Alana did impress the owner of the ranch who said that if she lived there he’d give her barrel riding lessons… she was a natural! The dogs were barking in the bush on our way out and back, and my horse got pretty skittish; Drew (the owner) seemed to think there was something (like a bear) lurking. This made me imagine another what-if scenario that never came to fruition (thank gooooodness). Anyways, back to Kamloops; other highlights include an amazing Thanksgiving dinner, a great left-right-centre game, a trip to Adams River to see one of the biggest salmon runs in the province, many Uno games, LOL Doll mania, a trip to the pumpkin patch and corn maze, pumpkin carving, and lots and lots of scary pumpkin drawings. 

love this photo of us!


on a horse!

what a beautiful ride




painting with auntie sarah (door decorations)

turkey time :)
We made our way to Comox on Tuesday morning where we were greeted with beautiful blue skies… and my mom and dad! It was so so so great to see them, and of course their new place too. They are still in the throes of a kitchen renovation, but other than that their place is done and it is beautiful! The beach is just blocks away, and so is an incredible sushi restaurant that we visited on Tuesday night… it was SO GOOD! On Wednesday we walked around downtown Courtenay and visited my Aunt Zella’s place where Alana and Grandpa picked apples. The rest of the visit blends together, but we visited the park a few times, took Maggie on some walks, carved another pumpkin, ate some fabulous meals, shared books, went horseback riding, played Uno (there were some great victory dances) and I got a haircut. And then we were up as early as can be on Saturday to make the long trip back home. It was great to get home to see the boys, and we enjoyed the Sunday buffer before life and all its busy-ness got going again today. It was a great trip - I can’t wait for the next one!!


beautiful BC!

picking apples with Grandpa

Uno mania!





No comments: