Wednesday, June 27, 2018

big events

There are only two days of school left this year (and three days of work for me), and it's hard to believe... time is flying! Well, it is and it isn't. The expression The days are long and the years are short rings true; some (/most) days feel like marathons (exhausted and ready to cry at the end), and then all of a sudden Jordan is waking me up nice and early the next day and we do it again. The end of the school year, my birthday (I turned 40!) and our anniversary are within the same two weeks this year, and for some reason – the big birthday? - I was / am a little more reflective about life and change and decisions this year. As a kid you think that life happens in a formulaic-ish way: you finish high school, go to uni, meet someone, get a job, get married and have kids and then... and then what? I don't know. But for us (maybe for everyone) this formula doesn't exist. We were so incredibly lucky to play sports for a living, to travel the world, to save some money, to have children and then choose careers (or second ones) – this is still a work in progress. This – the figuring out of a career – is, I'm realizing, less fixed for most people. I really do like my job, but I don't think that it's it for me. Above all I value time with my kids and family and am so grateful that it allows me to do that, to maximize my time with the people I love. But a career is such a big part of life... so if it's not this, then what will it be? Another unanswered question is our living situation; we need more space, but where? Or do we stay put and renovate? There is more to figure out at 40 than I thought there would be, but that's okay. We live in a safe place and I have a healthy and happy family – life is good! 

a cake with a donut - !! big win.

helping me celebrate (and ready to EAT)

cheers! homemade pizza on the BBQ for dinner, thanks to my amazing husband

it's the best :)
I'm going to have to edit my blog's "About me" section... no longer am I 30-something! (or a new mom)
I also have to add that Steve surprised me with a trip to Langdon Hall last weekend and it was incredible! What a place. Very suitable for a special occasion as it is très luxe, and the breakfast (the croissant especially) was to die for. My sisters treated me to a mani-pedi at the spa, so I'm feeking very fashionable and feminine with my lovely pink nails. Okay, time to run... I can't believe summer is almost here!!

No comments: