Friday, May 27, 2016

life as five

me and my babes!
Here goes a lightning post - how fast can I get caught up on the last 2 weeks and get to bed? Hm. Well we've settled into a more comfortable place at home after a first week full of adjustments - adjustments to new sleep routines, feeding routines and demands (ouch), balancing acts, and prioritizing (eating over blogging, feeding children over showering etc.). I am SO thankful that Steve is around, especially in this first semi-chaotic period where I'm just getting used to being on call 24/7 for the newest member of our family of five (!!!). Steve's parents were a HUGE help - they stayed for a week and did all of the meals, and I really was wondering how we'd get dinner on the table with just the two of us, outnumbered as we are. BUT... it hasn't been that bad and no one is starving or losing weight and I haven't even had to feed people cereal for dinner yet (as promised, "once the baby comes"). Jordan is settling into a semi-predictable rhythm, feeding every 3 hours during the day and every 3-4 hours at night, and is quite the easy going baby I have to say. He'll fuss a little bit when he's gassy or needs to poop but is otherwise very calm and quiet (yay!) - though Hendrik insists that he makes way too much noise whenever he is watching TV (Steve and I have no idea what he's talking about). I'm getting a nap in almost every day and am clocking around 6 hours of interrupted sleep a night (I think) which is really not too bad (does it sound bad? probably), and am feeling semi-recovered from a short and very intense labour and delivery. 

A LOVES being a big sister!

After last Monday's 41 week appointment I had an induction booked - for Wednesday May 19th - and I sure was hoping that I wouldn't make it until then... but things weren't looking good. I'd had contractions here and there throughout week 41 but nothing ever materialized, so when I had a few intermittent contractions on Monday afternoon post-appointment, I wasn't convinced that anything was actually happening. Plus these happenings were only happening when I was standing up - so I really wasn't convinced that going to bed would do anything to move anything along BUT it did. I woke Steve up around 12:30AM having timed a few contractions and we decided to head for the hospital. By 1:00 we were on the road and by 1:05 we were waiting at a railroad crossing waiting for a middle of the night train to get out of the way (really). Thankfully I wasn't in the throes of intense labour (yet), but I was approaching that uncomfortable stage and wanted confirmation that it was going to happen - and not dissipate the way they'd had earlier in the week. Longer story short, we were admitted to Victoria General (not sent home!), I had my water broken, suffered through some awful contractions (awful awful awful) before asking for an epidural; "too late!" said the nurse, "NOT TOO LATE" said me - and the meds kicked in for two contractions and not much pushing before Jordan was born at 4:48, not even four hours after we arrived at the hospital. I was relieved to have the delivery over with, to have a healthy baby, and to have made it through the birth of another child. And now we're home and getting used to life as five... It's all good!
first bath time at home
beautiful flowers from a friend!
dad and the crew

No comments: