Saturday, December 19, 2015

almost christmas!


Christmas holidays have begun! And so has the flu season in the Brinkman family. I was thinking this past week would be relaxing and less hectic than the few weeks previous, but I was mistaken; instead of having both kids in school, Alana was home sick - up sick all night and sick all day too, and the yuckies are making their rounds - keeping Hendrik and Steve close to home (and the bathroom) all day (and all night). All I'm really hoping for (besides not catching it myself), is that it's moved on by Monday. We fly to Vancouver Monday night and for the sake of all of the other people on the plane, I'd like everyone to be cured.

Anyways! We're feeling ready for Christmas - treats have been made and eaten, presents purchased and wrapped - and some unwrapped too. We arrived in Bowmanville yesterday afternoon and the kids have opened a few presents, as we're not lugging everything to Vancouver and back again (I'm sure we'll have enough stuff as it is.) With just a few major purchases made by mom and dad this year (new windows for the house, new swank minivan, trip to Vancouver), we're not exchanging gifts - though I did ask Steve to get himself a library card and insist that we find time to get out for a walk or something while in Vancouver when the kids are tucked in tight and sleeping (all night long I hope). We've been seriously sleep deprived with sick Alana, so I really really really want some good sleeps in the next two weeks while there are minimal must-do activities ruling our lives.
at the science centre and aquarium
LOVE this pic. science centre gold!
We spent the night in a hotel in Toronto last weekend, and the kids LOVED it. I had a coaching thing to do on Saturday so Steve, the kids and Grandma and Gramps went to the Ontario Science Centre and were there for SIX hours - I thought they'd be waiting for me but I ended up waiting for them... there was so much to see and do and so much fun to be had. Another perk of membership at the London Children's Museum is free admission (until Dec 31st at least) to Ripley's Aquarium, so we stopped in their on our way east yesterday, and again, the kids had a great time. Now we're getting a few last minute things done/purchased (headphones for the plane, I found sheets and a duvet cover for Alana at Home Sense today - she needs a regular big bed so that when she comes to our bed and passes out, I can go to hers!) and then off we go. It's been a while since we've travelled together on a plane, so with the kids a bit older than last time we made a (mostly complete) family trip (I think it would have been home from Greece in April 2014) it'll be a different ball game. With that, I'd better go get them into bed... Merry Christmas and happy holidays everyone!




our neighbour's friend sets this up every year - magical!!!

No comments: