Sunday, November 15, 2015

a few (tired) thoughts

It's Monday tomorrow - and it feels like Thursday or Friday night right now; sadly, there was no rest for me this weekend. I'm not saying the kids didn't sleep well (because they actually did), it was just a very full, very go go go weekend from the moment the kids awoke to the moment I finally fell into bed. We had two home games this weekend - our first double header - and went 1-1 (though we really should have been Queens today... darn). Steve was in Toronto (with the car) all weekend so there was some juggling involved - babysitters, friends, great neighbours... I am lucky to have what my neighbours (they're the best!) call "a village" to help us through this busy time in our lives.

playing octonauts at the park in early saturday afternoon sun
This week saw Hendrik fired up to get invitations out for his 5th birthday party, happening in two weeks. He's invited six boys from his class, one 8th grader (I think he's in 8th grade) and one fifth grade brother of one of his classmates. He requested Star Wars invitations, and addressed them all himself (and hopefully distributed them too - at school), and the theme has morphed from dinosaurs only to a dinosaur/Star Wars hybrid, though I'm fairly certain his Star Wars knowledge is as sparse as mine is. Decorations and activities are yet to be planned... 

we made apple pie - from SCRATCH, all of it. it was goooooood....
Alana had two friends over for her first play date on Friday morning and she had loads of fun - showing them around the house, showing off her toys, being a troupe leader upstairs for a game of alligator (what is? no idea.), and more. I'm so so glad we put her in preschool - she is loving it.

And as for France, I am so sad and so sorry that there is such evil and ignorance in the world and that regular, good people are killed and their families ripped apart because of hatred and fanaticism (and in the name of religion). I read a story yesterday while the kids were running around and couldn't help but get emotional, and for the rest of the day Hendrik tried to make me laugh by putting silly things in front of his face so he couldn't see (haha - right?). I don't have very many deep thoughts about this (or anything - right now), but I do hope that security and intelligence teams around the world can continue doing good / better work, and that families affected by this and other similar tragedies around the world can find peace and healing in their future. 




No comments: