Tuesday, December 23, 2014

allllmost christmas!

enjoying christmas lollipops from liz
It happened again! Another week has flown by, leaving a stream of events in its wake. The Friday night surprise retirement-from-Team-Canada party for Steve was the biggest, the most monumental, the most significant of these events, as Steve played for a total of 17 years for our national team, and there's no denying that that's a pretty big deal. The par-tay had been in the works for a month (at least), and Steve had no idea. His cousin Pam hosted, and together with Marg and Erin, the three of them got food and drink organized, and Marg and I took care of the invites. Seeing as how we're in the midst of the holiday season, we were thinking we'd keep it small and invite family and a few of Steve's coaches from the early days - and then do something bigger with the team and friends in the new year. Steve and I arrived with the kids shortly after 7:15, and coming down the stairs to a basement full of people Steve was so surprised he didn't even realize that it was for him until he saw his buddy Dan-o and a few of his former coaches - it was a success! There was a ton of food, an amazing cake, wine and bevies, a few speeches (Bob and Ralph) and a video I put together on my way to and from Palm Springs, with contributions from my sisters and Steve's cousins. I'll try to upload it, but no guarantees - this computer is fussy with vids and youtube.
team canada cake and steve with dan-o and hugh pops
Steve and I were up early early (5:45) on Saturday and spent the weekend in Hamilton on the court with a few good groups of eager kids and a great crew of coaches (LP, Paul D., Cooper, Heather Bansley). We made up for Friday's late night and Saturday's early morning by being in bed at 7:30 on Saturday night, and it was ah-mazing. Amazing. Sunday was another full day of coaching followed by some Strongbow (on tap = the best), nachos and ideas (with LP) and an awesome night in Toronto with Dan and Milka. We ate at Terroni (salad, pizza, wine + panettone), breakfasted at Sud Forno (great coffee and fresh donuts - yes please), wandered, walked, shopped a bit, and then made for home. After a solid two and a half days away from the kids, heartstrings were getting tight, and it was so so good to get back to them and hear their sweet little voices and feel their arms around our bodies.

This weekend - time spent on the court and with Dan and Milka - gave me some food for thought, and here are a few things I want to / need to think about in the next little bit here:

1. What's the difference between panettone and pandoro? I need to make both (and eat both) and blog about it. Panetone project, coming up....

2. Do I stay in school through the summer? I was planning on it, but the summer is the time I can really be in the gym and develop as a coach, learn and be involved, and make some cash. There are so many opportunities with camps and teams (provincial, national), and I'm wondering if I'm crazy to pass up some chances to get better, and use my skills. I need to look at my school schedule and see if there's any way to do both and graduate in two years....

TWO days til Christmas! Shopping is done, there is food and bounty all around, and I'm with family. I sure am missing mine, but I'm thankful we're in Canada for the holidays - and for all the days!
family and good food - the best!

No comments: