Thursday, September 18, 2014

update du jour

Events of note from the last week (or so):


We went to the fair! On Sunday we caught the last day of London's Western Fair, and it was great. The kids held little chicks, we wide-eye watched cows eat their lunch and people eat over-stuffed over-topped funnel cakes - and there were rides! It was adorable, seeing their gleeful little faces on the cheesy monster truck ride (flying bees, flying swings, airplane ride), smiles and laughter radiating.


School (for me) doesn't have quite the same fun-factor, but it's all going going going. The content is super interesting, and I'm slowly getting into the flow of getting things done and getting my method down (maybe) - but it's a work in progress. First assignments are due next week - so we'll see how I feel about it all after the 24th (eek!).

There were two big kid-lit birthdays this week: Robert McCloskey (Make Way for Ducklings, Blueberries for Sal) and H.A. Rey (most famous for Curious George). I've looked into the library holdings here for Rey and Bemelmans (Madeline author), and there's some interesting content available - but I don't have time! No time for leisure reading; my list of must-read-for-school is much too long. Maybe I'll get to it between semesters? I hope so.

There was a meet the teacher BBQ at Hendrik's school last night, and it was cute (small school, lots of small people). The kids had a blast playing and zipping around, and we talked to a few other parents and met the principal and bought baked goods. I meant to take a few pics (of school, classroom, playground) but forgot (woops). However, I did! snap these two gems:



Hendrik seems to be liking school - and this makes both mom and dad very happy (especially considering the fact that several kids are inconsolable parent-leeches at drop-off). Franklin Goes to School has been a popular bedtime read this past week, and there's a part where Franklin tells his dad that his tummy is "too busy flip-flopping to think about breakfast" (on his first day of school) and that he felt as if he had frogs jumping around in there. Hendrik, it seems, identifies: he tells me that he felt that way on his first day too (heart - melt!), but continues to say, "but it was all okay." What a brave little guy!

from the kindergarten info board outside hendrik's classroom
Grandma and Grandpa B are here for the weekend, and the kids are pumped. Steve and I are so happy to have them here too - to share our new place and get some ideas and get a few things done. Hurrah! Hurray! Now, BED!

No comments: