Monday, June 23, 2014

long summer days


On occasion, Hendrik and I watch Stefano Faita's In the Kitchen while Alana naps, and it's thanks to the show that we have our guilt-free go-to dessert recipe of the summer: blueberry frozen yogurt. It's as simple as can be - if you have a food processor or supersonic blender (ours wouldn't cut it): blend frozen blueberries with vanilla greek yogurt and a dollop of maple syrup... AND EAT. We had some tonight after an apres-dinner bike ride and sports relay outside across the street, and it hit the spot - after the warmth plus activity plus busy-busy-busy outside time. (The runner-up dessert recipe might just be one that I've never tried: homemade vegan fudgsicles, made with coconut milk, avocado, maple syrup and cocoa... yum!)

some of today's tomes (of many yesterdays)
I took the kids back to preschool this morning, but it wasn't for class; after 45 years of operation, Westboro Nursery School is closing its doors... and getting rid of a lot of stuff. Other schools and daycares had the chance to scoop up stuff on Friday, and I was wondering whether I'd be fighting crowds to have a peek at what was left this morning - thankfully, I wasn't. There were books books and more books, puzzles, toys and art supplies. I managed to walk away with minimal stuff (I wish I'd bought the retro washing machine + ironing board combo!! Really.) - but I think it'll get used (would the kids play with a washing machine? Or would it just be me?): a laundry tub full of Playmobile (photo coming), 25ish books and four puzzles... and all I had to part with was $32. Apres sale, the kids played in the park and then we drove to Ikea, ate lunch, played and played until my patience was completely and totally exhausted.


Did I say anything about Hendrik's bike? I think not. We finally got our little guy a bike, and he loves it. I took him out after dinner and heard him say, "I'm a natural!" - hilarious. It was only day two, really, and he's got it down. Alana won't be far behind, as she doesn't want to be left out of anything; she won't let us get away with not getting her a bike for another two years, that's for sure. He's fairly tentative - or wait, not tentative, but slow; he doesn't speed up or speed off at all (yet - thankfully), but all Alana would say when we propped her up on his seat with her feet just touching the pedals was faster, faster! faster! I'm thinking we should be buying some leg armour for her.

I have more to say, but bed is calling. The kids are staying up with the summer sun (way too late), which means that time between their sleep and my sleep is on short supply... More coming soon!

No comments: