Thursday, April 17, 2014

list-blog

from L to R: at the park today, she was all about the mud puddles, on the swing, saying "CHEEEEESE", ready to cook, and hammering away
 One of Alana's latest and greatest skills is climbing in and out of her relatively low to the ground crib, and until this evening it was something she'd practice during the day (nap-time), and only during the day. Now it's an all-the-time thing - what does this mean? It means I have to time an afternoon drive with her nap (until I figure out how to get her to stay put), and - in the evening? Not sure yet.

I could have should have listed the above as #1, because this is a list-type'o blog. Time is short (it's 10:49 and the kids have been in bed for all of 10 minutes), and I'm tired. Here we go....

1. Panahaiki won three points tonight in their contest against - I don't even know who they played, but it was somewhere in Thessaloniki. They've been away for six days are due back some time tonight; they hit the road right after the game, and I know that everyone is looking forward to having the big guy home.
photos from our souvlaki dinner the other night: the stuff stories are made of
2. Bedtime routines: take forever. We read books out here in the main room and then after I've put A to bed, I'll read Hendrik one more in his room and tell him a story with the lights off (routine to change with new night-time crib-crawl-out). We usually read something from Friendly Tales, but Hendrik has requested No Roses For Harry for a few nights going, and favourite requests from me have been the Antonella and the Cookies story (about going over to Antonella's house in Vela, where he reaches for the cookies that live in the jar on the kitchen table) or The Mr Burger story (yesterday after a late afternoon park visit we tried to go to Mr Burger but it was closed; Hendrik spied an open tavern where we enjoyed some delicious souvlaki, pita and salad: win win win!). The ding dong stories are hopefully a thing of the past - I much prefer the variety of Vela and souvlaki stories.

3. We've been without internet here, though not entirely (through phone data only). Steve took his computer with him, and with it went the plug into which the end of the longest modem-computer cord in the world gets plugged. Get this: when Steve moved in, building maintenance people drilled holes in the walls (multiple) and looped and connected a cord from a third floor apartment outside and around the building to ours. The cord is LONG, and I should just post a picture instead of trying to describe things. I mention this to legitimize the fact that it's been a week since I last blogged...

4. These days flying solo with the kids have had the usual highs and lows, but somehow the lows have seemed a bit lower - thanks to the terrible threes. The last two days have been good, but the two previous were not; Hendrik would push and push and push and with my patience and understanding and plan on how to deal with him and with things exhausted, I reacted in ways I didn't feel good about. I know that we're all learning here, and after a perfectly timed get-together with a friend I hadn't seen in five (?) years, I felt better - and Hendrik has been more well-behaved and my stores of patience are replenished. This makes me think of this job posting.... how true.

5. I've been meaning to mention this for a long long time: Steve's sister Erin started a blog - Life With Lennon - and it's a great way to keep up with them and their babe's ever-changing ways. We get to see them in Bowmanville when we return, and I can't wait to meet Lennon and see Erin...

6. I'm not sure if I've mentioned this or not, but Hendrik has decided that he doesn't want to go home to Canada, and that we should (and will) just stay here forever. With only three weeks left here, I feel the same way, (more than)  just a little bit. The weather and the green grass are his top reasons, and I'd add the food, people, pace of life and affordability to the list. As long as the team manages to stay in the top division, coming back "home" here will be an option; we'll have to wait and see....
the happy easter sign was all hendrik! easter fun :)
7. Easter is coming up, and we've had our crafty hats on. I've been trying to do the re-use + re-cycle thing, so nothing's too Martha Stewart, but I think it looks cute, and original. We decorated Easter baskets (yogurt containers) this morning and there are new eggs going up on the crates every day... and then we'll get to take it all down! It's been fun though. More on the Easter theme: we'll head down to Kavasila for Easter weekend, and all of us are looking forward to it. I'll see if I can dig out the picture-montage/video Steve made from Easter there seven years ago (wait, eight?) - there's food, family, sunshine.... lamb (poor fella), and more. Can't wait!

8. I woke up to trigonos in the fridge (I ate some for breakfast), and they. are. incredible. Good thing we don't live up north, or someone would find me in the shop window, a la Chocolat.

9. I started this blog last night, and didn't get to posting it - technical difficulties with the ipad (not sure what/why). Anyways! Steve is home, it's a beauty of a day, and everyone is happy - and tired. Bed early tonight I hope!

Greek Easter 2007:

No comments: