Monday, January 23, 2012

books + volley

Aw, man a whole entire week has passed since the last real blog... wait, more. Ak. I had every intention of posting yesterday, but `rwcqqqqqqqqqqqqqx    ` W3Q (thanks for your first blog contribution there Hendrik) well let's just say that Hendrik came along and I was tired and dinner needed to be made etc etc. So finally - sigh - the little man is napping and I'll sneak a quick one in here before I lie down too. I stayed up until 2:00 last night - 2:00!!! reading. I couldn't put Zeitoun down, and even as thirty-minute chunks of time passed and I thought to myself yet again, Morning is going to come way waaaay too soon put down the book put the book down, I kept reading. Dave Eggers's book is the true story of the Zeitoun family and their first-hand experience of Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath - not so much the rebuilding of homes and houses but more of family and individuals, after horrific and unbelievable treatment at the hands of "law enforcement." It was a great book and an incredible story; read it read it read it! The next time I'm at the library here I'll see what other Eggers books are there. And too, I'll look and see if the last - the last! - Mme Ramotswe book is there, because I finished The Double Comfort Safari Club the day before I started Zeitoun. Okay fine! so I've been reading instead of blogging. Next on the list (on the counter) is The Last Days of the Lacuna Cabal, another library pick. I was leafing through the New Acquisitions binder and found aforementioned books (minus Mme Ramotswe of course) - it might be my go-to move from now on. They were both on the shelves, waiting, ready for me.... yay.


And more on the books front: Hendrik's current favourites are I Want My Hat Back (Jon Klassen) and From Head to Toe (Eric Carle). I'll try to get a video of one of us reading the Eric Carle book because Hendrik can and does almost all of the motions, such as "I am a buffalo, and I raise my shoulders! Can you do it? I can do it!" ... it is THE CUTEST. I also love that he loves the hat back book because it was a gift from Aunty Sarah, and it's artsy and a little indie... I like, I like.
we are so so thankful for pass-ons! Hendrik has been sporting this amazing little lion shirt ... from Jayme or Jordynn? I don't remember... so so cute!
Okay, what news. Trentino Volley won last night and they are back on top - numero uno in the Italian league, yay! Hendrik and I were joined by Emelie, Per and Isa for game-watching and then pizza-eating back here, and it turned into a late night for all. Hendrik and Isa (20 months) played together (a little bit), they both ate pizza (his 2nd dinner) and were all smiles up until the kisses they exchanged at 10:15 when our Swedish friends went on their way. The kisses were SO so so cute, and the kidlets were so so so tired... but as usual, he was up this morning at 7:15! No sleeping in for anyone. Wait, that's a lie; Steve got up with Hendrik and I stayed in bed until 8:45... it was lovely. Ummm and the team leaves on Friday for an away game here in Italy (Macerata I think?) and then they go straight on to Belgium for next week's Champion's League game against Maaseik... they'll be gone for FIVE days! Boooooooo... I suppose that I'll either get lots of reading done OR post many many blogs... :) we'll see!



And it's been quiet around here sans guests. G-ma and G-pa B + Tante Sis went on their way early last week and we miss them! It is nice having the place to ourselves again, but I do wish they could just come over. I wish lots of people could just come over... grandparents, family, friends... hm. That, I suppose, is one of the down sides to moving to Europe or Asia or wherever every year - the far-apartness from those you/we want to be close to. But the upside, especially living in Italy, is culture and the food - the cheese! And bread. And tomatoes. Ouf, I should start exercising. And I need to nap. Six hours of sleep is not enough for this maman...
he loves his new set'o'wheels ... vrooom vrooooom. and NO BATTERIES REQUIRED - amazing!

No comments: