Monday, October 25, 2010

a car for the car seat!


Big news -- we have wheels! What was it, seven or eight weeks ago now (or more?) that the engine blew on our 2005 Ford Expedition (just 7 months after the warranty expired, DOH!)... and since then we have been driving a borrowed car. Until Saturday! After the bad news about our truck (which now I realize I liked more than I thought I did - so much space!), Steve was all over the net and all over town looking for a car that would fit, and I even remember posting a blog one day about the fact that Asian cars were just not going to work for us. Well, I'm not sure if we were influenced at all by our experience in Japan on this car decision but we decided to go with a NEW Toyota 4Runner... new! (Made in Japan!) We looked at some used ones (not so easy to find) but with the deal we got at Villa Toyota in Gatineau, we decided to go for the nouveau voiture. I'm still in shock a little bit - it's so nice! And it's ours. Ours! So finally, we have a car to put the car seat in. Not that we've done that yet, but one thing at a time here. We took the borrowed car (merci Freddy) out to a barn in boondocks Orleans yesterday afternoon, and Steve was able to maneuver the Chrysler into its parking spot for the winter in one shot. It was definitely a tight squeeze (think Austin Powers parking job) to get it turned 90 degrees, but now there it rests in lane #2, sans snow tires - for the winter.

In other news, we had the BEST pancakes for breakfast yesterday morning! Yes, I'm aware that almost any homemade pancake might be the best to me, but these were goooooood. The recipe also made a whole pile of 'em, so we've got an extra little stash in the freezer, yum yum. La recette, from the back of a bag of milk:

Hearty Oat Pancakes
1 1/2 cups quick oats
2 cups milk
3 eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup flour
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Mix oats and milk and let sit for 5 minutes; add eggs and oil, then the dry ingredients... DELISH!


And I'm in week 36 of this pregnancy - eek! As you can see from this photo of the non-cleaned up room, we are not overly ready yet. If he came 30-something days early I'm sure we'd be fine BUT it would be nice to get things put away and have everything just a little more set up. Plus, that car seat does need to be in the car... right. I'm still feeling fine, but the belly is definitely getting bigger bigger bigger. And as a result, I'm feeling bigger bigger too - some days good big (I'm pregnant!) and other days not-as-good big (ugh, I need to work out). The clothes too, make a difference. I've only bought a few maternity things, but with the colder weather setting in, I'm not sure my clothes are really going to cut it. I may just end up wearing the same thing every day, or living in lulus and Steve's old sweatshirts (or my flannel pyjamas). I don't have a winter jacket, but after a trip to MEC yesterday, realize that it is completely unrealistic to even think about buying a new one until after the babe is born. I'll borrow from my hubby... I hope it's okay with him. :)


Just over 35 weeks

1 comment:

Maggie B said...

Love the vehicle, the baby's room and the baby bump!!