Tuesday, June 8, 2010

still...

Well we sure did log some miles this weekend: Ottawa-Toronto-Waterloo-Toronto-Ottawa. And most of those, at least for me, were started early early (too early) in the morning. We made for the big city this weekend because I signed up to take a coaching course on Saturday BUT had to make it back to Ottawa for a volleyball tryout on Sunday - ouf! But I wasn't complaining - this was all done of my own volition. The course was great - not too long, good people, interesting things to talk about... and then the tryout on Sunday was great too. I'm totally new on the vball scene in Ontario and Ottawa, so I'm excited to get involved and meet people and coach a team this summer. This is the first summer in a looong time (maybe eight years?) that I won't be coaching camps, and it will be good to not be flying/driving all over the place all the time. The tryouts were for the Ontario Summer Games team, and I'm excited about being involved as a coach - back in 1994 it was my first big vball tourney as an eager 15 year-old, and I remember it well. Also, my very best friend was on that team - best friend then and best friend now... so hopefully some of these girls can create and share some of the same memories.

So we are (still) settling in - there are unpacked boxes and bare walls and crowded counters here, there and everywhere around the house. (I should get to that.) I did get to the library yesterday and got myself an Access Gatineau card - a library card and recreation services card in one. Get this: for $20 a year, I get unlimited access to a bunch of different recreational activities - swimming, badminton, basketball, tennis, canoe rentals on local lakes, and more. Crazy! Have I got my priorities straight or what... Clear off crowded bathroom counter? Unpack printer and office stuff? Nah. Get library card? Sure. I'm going to go check out the closest pool that has daytime swimming (a 20 minute drive, boo) and then... umm, I'll get to that around-the-house stuff, I swear. I should also unpack our camera, as these bare, no-photo posts are a bit dry, n'est pas? Anyways, even though there are still lists of things to do, and still settle-in stuff that needs to get done, this place is starting to feel a bit more like home... I like it!

No comments: