Monday, December 7, 2009

goodness in the fridge

The weather here has been amazing these past few days! Yesterday I saw people wearing shorts, walking around in flip flops. I, on the other hand, was overdressed and too-warm in my down vest, having been fooled by the clear blue sky. I thought that it would be a crisp and chilly day - but it was not so. Compared to Calgary, it was downright tropical! Though I sometimes miss the snow and mountain activities, I never miss minus-degree weather.

Soooo... food news. The other day I ate raw chicken. When I got home, I updated my status on facebook to just ate raw chicken. for real. at a restaurant. and boy ooooh BOY did I get some response-reactions. First of all, the raw poultry experience. On Friday night I got together with Marili and Nao - two new-ish friends (yay); the three of us went out for drinks at a small restaurant/cafe, and then for dinner at a traditional Japanese pub type restaurant where the specialty was yakitori - skewered chicken, bbq'd or cooked (or not) any number of ways. We opted for the set menu, which meant that the waiter brought plates and plates and more plates of surprise! food - we never knew what was coming next. The three of us sat on cushions on the floor in a teensy little room that all of us had to fold over to get into; it was shoes off and cozy up in the restaurant nook. So first there was edamame and cabbage, then cooked chicken... and then there was raw. In it came on the plate very thinly sliced and every so slightly seared - with a blob of wasabi, some onion slivers and a small bird-bath of soy sauce. Marili (from South Africa) and I eyeballed each other with the same thought: you never eat raw chicken raw chicken makes you sick and you are never ever ever supposed to eat raw chicken. Nao encouraged us to try it, ensuring us that these types of restaurants prepare it properly (and how is that?) and with caution: one sick customer could bring down the house. And so, gingerly, we tried it. And.... it wasn't bad! It was just like a thinly sliced piece of tuna sashimi, that tasted - not really like chicken... but not like fish either. Something in between maybe? I don't think I'll be going back for more, but it was not that bad. More raw chicken came on the salad, and the meal was rounded out with lots of skewered chicken parts, some of which were delicious (chicken breast) and some of which weren't (the skin and a few not-sure-what parts). The meal, all-in-all, was great, and the ice cold beer topped it all off. Yum yum. And so, the facebook reaction; never have I felt so judged on facebook! I feel as though - and maybe it's because for us (by us I'm not really sure who I mean) eating raw poultry is a mega no-no - I was vehemently judged. Maybe people thought I sunk my teeth into a cold, floppy chicken breast or a pink wing or clammy thigh (EWWW)... or maybe it's just wrong - not something to be done at home, at a restaurant or EVER. Well, I tried it, and that's that.

Okay, so raw bird doesn't sound so tempting to you? No? How about nanaimo bars? These have GOT to be one of my all-time favourite goodies, and Christmas is the only time that I can justify making these sinful treats. For the past week (yes, WEEK), I have been tracking down ingredients: graham cracker crumbs and custard powder and icing sugar, and finally, yesterday, I put them all together. The result? Absolute deliciousness. I came home from my run this morning and felt no guilt whatsoever in cutting up the 9x9 pan of yumminess and digging in. They are full of sugar and, as my mom says, F-A-T, so one does the trick. I feel happy knowing that there are more in the fridge. Yum and mega yum!!!



And, after two months of five-hour training sessions, Steve and F.C. Tokyo had their first matches of the season. They traveled to Hiroshima (on the bullet) to face JT Thunders on Saturday, and last year's champs the Toray Arrows on Sunday - their first matches in the top division here in Japan. They fought hard, but couldn't pull away with any wins; they lost Saturday's match 3-0, and went down swinging on Sunday, losing 2-3. Next weekend they travel all the way down to Takamatsu to face two new opponents, and hopefully things are more successful for them there. I leave you with the one and only F.C. Tokyo picture that I found on the league's website... can you spot the Steve?

1 comment:

Maggie B said...

Yes, I can spot the Steve!