Wednesday, March 18, 2009

........

Despite the fact that there is an Irish Pub in town, there is no green beer in Constanta. There was no green beer in Constanta (and no green food colouring either). The restaurant that is The Irish Pub is just that; a restaurant with a seriously deceptive name; the décor could pass as Irish (dark mahogany wood), but there is nothing “pubby” about the place and not a glass of Irish beer to be had. So instead of going out last night, Tammy and I stayed in and drank Heineken (green can) and made the most delicious salads, which were also fairly green. (Salads and beer: nice dinner!) I own no green clothing (not here at least) so wore blue; apparently blue was the colour originally associated with this saint (hmmm… why?) until the shamrock became the routine symbol of the day. And I assume that wearing green has just become the easy alternative to finding and pinning a shamrock on your sleeve – it’s also kinda fun, dressing in green garb. Anyways, we had our own little homage to the Irish and Ireland’s patron saint, and though our offerings were dinky (Dutch beer and lettuce) they were delicious.

I’ve missed some important “days” this month: International Day Against Police Brutality and World Consumer Rights Day … and I’ve also missed some not so important days. Sure it’s subjective, but Pig Day? (Tagline: “Remember the good things pigs have brought to us!” – like bacon?) and What if Cats and Dogs Had Opposable Thumbs Day? (“We are thankful today that our pets can't really get a grip on things.”) How about Get Over It Day? (“Don’t Ever Forget: It Could Always Suck More”) - I mean, who creates these days? Greeting Card companies have a hand in it I’m sure, but I’ve never seen a Get Over It card. Imagine – you get a card in the mail from your ex or your former boss or I don’t know who: Move On! It’s Done! GET OVER IT! Ya, that’d be nice… and subtle. I do need to get over the dog that is NON-stop barking in the apartment just above ours – time to get out of the house. I’ll leave you with this ad for flea spray; at least the dog upstairs isn’t this big…

A colossal stuck-to-the-floor ad in a shopping centre in Jakarta


And I had to add this: This interactive (or inter-inactive?) ad for a fitness centre gives people waiting for the bus an unasked-for reality check.... (www.thecoolhunter.net)

No comments: