Saturday, March 26, 2016

bogs, blogs and babies

Somehow I thought I'd have more time on my hands when season ended, but it hasn't materialized. The second half of spring break was great - we were back here in London and ate lunch in our jammies most days, leaving the house in the afternoon if we felt like it. Spending so much time with Hendrik and Alana has given me the chance to spend more dedicated time with Hendrik, as Dad wasn't there to do the regular nighttime routine ("Daddy, will you tell me a story, charge up my (glow-in-the-dark) Octonauts book and lie with me?" - every night!). And since our week away we've established a new routine that is endearing almost all of the time - except when I have mucho work to do and it's late and I'm tired and the kitchen is still a mess and ... you get it. Anyways, we do the regular routine (read three stories, go to the bathroom and get in bed) and then he asks if we can talk; first, he'll tell me about his day (the parts that I don't know) and then I tell him about my day (the parts the he doesn't know), and then we talk about something else (a topic we come up with together), and really, I love it. When we ask him about school we get next to no information, and we don't always get the inside scoop on how he feels and what he thinks about things - so it's a gold and diamond-view into The Life of Hendrik, five years old. I was thinking that maybe I could somehow record it, but most of the time it's dark, and I don't think he'd be so talkative if he knew he was on camera. Tonight he wanted to talk about the new/in-progress bathroom - specifically grout and tiles, so we did that, and then we talked about the Easter bunny... coming tomorrow! Carrots were left out and I was told I had to go to bed SOON! in case he/she was waiting outside our door for all of us to go to bed and get to sleep.

working hard! the end is in sight... I think! (plus Alana showing her pic of the reno)
I really should be blogging more, especially with baby #3 on the way - I can't believe we only have 6 weeks to go! (If he decides to wait until his due date (May 9th), something both of his older siblings opted to do.) Are we ready? No. We have a few clothes, but that's about it; we need to paint the room Hendrik and Alana are going to be sharing, get them in together in the next few weeks, and get the few necessities that makes life with a baby manageable (diapers, soother, ?). I've been feeling good, but am getting larger and more waddley (boo)... and have had to slow down a bit - I'm more tired from the regular juggling of family and school than from the pregnancy, but it's not so bad.

almost 34 weeks
We made it out to Sifton Bog this afternoon and despite some grumbly "I don't want to gos" the kids had a great time ("this is so much fun!") - which made me happy happy. After an emergency call for more grout, we had to battle the busy streets and shop to get Steve some supplies - and then we hit up the grocery store for some more supplies yet before heading home to play and make dinner. That's all I've got for now - the kitchen is still a mess and the couch calls... I can do homework tomorrow!



No comments: