Saturday, January 23, 2010

Thursday afternoon

Lunch deals here are amazing. We went out for lunch on Thursday afternoon for a threepeat return to our new favourite lunch spot, Salvatore - for pizza. It was and is as good as any pizza I devoured in Italy, be it in the south or north or even... gasp! in Naples. Oohhhh, Italian food. It is sooooo good. So for 1300 yen (or yenners) you are served salad, pizza (size large), coffee (cappucino? espresso? latte on ice? there are options) and a scoop of delicious gelato - in my books this is a terrific deal, especially because the food is so amazingly yummy. Our waiter was Italian, so I stumbled through my faltering Italian (use it or lose it - I never use it) to find out that our waiter was born in - guess where? - Winnipeg. We had a nice chat with him and he gave us perfect little biscotti to go with our caffe, and then we were on our way. On our way to see... Where the Wild Things Are. And... it was good! Not excellent or amazing, but I liked it. It was interesting how it was done - I mean, I think it could have been a little more light-hearted - it was pretty heavy at parts. And.. .this was not a movie for children - was it? There were lots of crashing and not necessarily violent but in-your-face scenes - destruction and fighting - play and real... I think it would have been too much for me as a kiddie. Maybe that's wimpy, but I think it could have been made for kids and adults alike, in a more sunny imaginary world, even with the wild things gnashing their terrible teeth and grinning their grins. Such a great book though, and I left with thoughts of how great the imagination is - how great it can be. I also left with energy and thoughts about running around on a beach or in the woods or through the city; I said to Steve, "Adults don't really run around... they never really just run and play and let loose and.... run around." (Not very eloquent... but...) And he said, "Well, YOU do." Um, well... sometimes. Sometimes I do.

No comments: